Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday was a big day! We had haircuts in the morning, went shopping just outside the gates the the base. We went to a couple of interesting stores -- mostly looking for Japanese gifts. We are finding some very interesting things!

After lunch Ryan took us to a Samari house and museum. The Samari that lived in this house decided he wanted to be a farmer, so he quit the Samari business and started farming. There was lots of farmland around and we saw lots of tractors, but no John Deere tractors :(

We did stop at the egg vending machine on the way home. For 200 yen, you can get 8 eggs right out of the machine. I had visions of the eggs falling to the bottom where you'd have to have scrambled eggs immediately, but Doug just opened the door and pulled out the little bag. There was a choice -- white eggs or brown eggs!

Our big outing of the day was our sushi making class. Ryan signed us up for the class taught here on base. The nice Japanese ladies were very kind to us and had us helping make the sushi right away. She especially liked to have Doug come and roll and cut and be involved. Michelle was taking notes, I was taking pictures, except when we switched roles. Then after making all the sushi, it was time to eat it. I have to say Michelle and Amber and I were a little dubious about eating the raw salmon and other fish. Amber decided to make some veg sushi since she knew she'd have to eat it later. Michelle and Amber were very brave and ate their sushi. Doug just gobbled it down. I was having travelers distress so I decided I'd better not indulge.



We laughed a lot during our class and after, and decided that maybe a Burger King milkshake would help cut the fishy flavor from the mouth. We had to drive thru on the backwards, upside-down, right side driving on the left side of the road kind of drive-thru. We made it though and the milkshakes were really a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment